Did you know that the large, rubbery nose of a moose is considered a culinary delicacy? Yes, the nose.
According to Donald L Schultz in Traveling up the Evangeline Trail-Country Acadie’:
A moose muffle is the nose and the pendulous, overhanging upper lip of the moose, eaten boiled, baked, or fried as a delicacy. It was prized among the Cree who boiled it and cut the muzzle into very thin slices.
The moose is the Alaska State Land Mammal and according to the Alaska Division of Fish and Game:
- Alaska’s moose are the largest of their species as well as the largest member of the deer family.
- Moose weigh between 1,000 and 1,600 pounds.
- Moose can be irritable and fiercely protective of their young—they’ve been known to charge people, horses, cars, and even locomotives.
- Bulls (male moose) grow majestic antlers up to 70 inches wide.
- Moose protect themselves from mosquitoes and other biting insects by submerging themselves in shallow ponds.
Moose is also the official State Mammal of Maine.
Directions for preparing Moose Nose
- Remove nose along the upper lip; wash thoroughly in cold water.
- Roll several pieces of paper tightly and insert into nostrils.
- Place over open fire with a wire hanger, live branch, etc. in order to singe hair (paper rolls will singe nostril hairs).
- Scrape off hair and burned areas. Rewash.
- Boil slowly for two hours.
- Serve hot or cold, then just sit back and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Moose-lover Treats for You
- APA style
- Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal. (2010, June 17). In Coast2CoastRecipes. Retrieved 07:09, July 7, 2015, from http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/
- MLA style
- admin, “Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal.” Coast2CoastRecipes. 17 June 2010, 22:40 UTC. . 7 Jul 2015 <http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/>.
- MHRA style
- admin, 'Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal', Coast2CoastRecipes, 17 June 2010, 22:40 UTC, <http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/> [accessed 7 July 2015]
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- admin, “Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal.” Coast2CoastRecipes, http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/ [accessed July 7, 2015].
- CBE/CSE style
- admin, Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal [Internet]. Coast2CoastRecipes; 2010 June 17, 22:40 UTC [cited 2015 Jul 7]. Available from: http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/.
- Bluebook style
- Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal, http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/ (last visited Jul. 7, 2015).
- AMA style
- admin, Moose Nose – Alaska State Land Mammal. Coast2CoastRecipes. June 17, 2010, 22:40 UTC. Available at: http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/03/moose-nose-alaska-state-land-mammal/. Accessed July 7, 2015.