In 2001, the North Carolina General Assembly named the Scuppernong the official state fruit.
“All Scuppernongs are Muscadines, but not all Muscadines are Scuppernongs.”
Scuppernong Grape - Photo by MGShelton
Muscadine grapes are native to North Carolina and… are large, thick-skinned grapes that typically contain four large seeds and grow in loose clusters. Unlike bunch grapes, that are harvested by clipping whole bunches from the vine, muscadines are usually harvested as individual berries.
Source: Excerpted from a North Carolina Muscadine Association brochure
Visit www.ncmuscadine.org for more information.
Ingredients for the NC Muscadine Dump Cake
- ½ stick margarine
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup prepared NC muscadines
- ¾ cup self-rising flour
Directions for the Muscadine Dump Cake
[ad#Google 250 x 250 right]
- To prepare muscadines, remove pulp; cook pulp until seeds loosen, then press through sieve to remove seeds.
- Add pulp to skins and cook until tender.
- Add sugar to taste, some grated lemon peel and a sprinkle of apple pie spice.
- Melt butter in glass pie plate.
- Mix flour, sugar and milk in another bowl.
- Pour flour mixture over butter.
- Carefully pour prepared muscadines over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Do not open oven until baking time is up.
- Cake should be brown on top.
Yield: 8 servings.
Learning Links for the Scuppernong (Muscadine) Grape
Scuppernong Grape – North Carolina’s State Fruit
Learn more about the history of North Carolina’s state fruit.
Source: ClassBrain’s State Reports
Tasty Muscadine Treats For You
- APA style
- North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake”. (2011, December 2). In Coast2CoastRecipes. Retrieved 11:36, June 19, 2013, from http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/
- MLA style
- admin, “North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake”.” Coast2CoastRecipes. 2 December 2011, 05:20 UTC. . 19 Jun 2013 <http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/>.
- MHRA style
- admin, 'North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake”', Coast2CoastRecipes, 2 December 2011, 05:20 UTC, <http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/> [accessed 19 June 2013]
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- admin, “North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake”.” Coast2CoastRecipes, http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/ [accessed June 19, 2013].
- CBE/CSE style
- admin, North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake” [Internet]. Coast2CoastRecipes; 2011 December 2, 05:20 UTC [cited 2013 Jun 19]. Available from: http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/.
- Bluebook style
- North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake”, http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/ (last visited Jun. 19, 2013).
- AMA style
- admin, North Carolina Muscadine “Dump Cake”. Coast2CoastRecipes. December 2, 2011, 05:20 UTC. Available at: http://coast2coastrecipes.com/2010/06/north-carolina-muscadine-dump-cake/. Accessed June 19, 2013.